Monday, August 25, 2008

Jeff MacKay 1948-2008









           Jeff is to the immediate right of Stephen Collins


Wow. Just wow.

It is with great sadness that I write here that Jeff MacKay, who played "Mac" on Magnum P.I. passed away from a brief illness.

Magnum P.I. is not only one of the greatest shows that ever aired, but Mac was an indelible character on the show. The two part episode Did You See the Sun Rise has to be one of the great moments of television. MacKay played two characters on the show, Lieutenant 'Mac' MacReynolds & after that character's death in Sunrise, he reprised his role as Mac lookalike Jim Bonig.

MacKay was a mainstay on television in the 70s and 80s. Here's a brief filmography:

Dr. Shrinker (1976)
Baa Baa, Black Sheep (1976)
Battlestar Galactica (1979)
The Wild, Wild West Revisited (1979)
Midnight Offerings (1981)
Tales of the Gold Monkey (1982)
Airwolf (1984)

A memorial site has already been set up for him. Please visit:
Respectance Jeff MacKay

I hate being so pressed for time. I am hoping that I can do a much better retrospective on him in the near future. He was a wonderful actor and I will miss him. My heart and thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in Peace Mac. 

2 comments:

Craig Edwards said...

He was always a perfectly cast everyman with feet of clay. His presence lit up every show he appeared in. A truly likable actor. RIP.

Amanda By Night said...

Definitely Craig. I love the use of your word everyman. He was so good in everything and whenever I see him (often because of my love for Magnum), I am always a little sad. What a loss.